- Bring a lightweight jacket
- Take plenty of water
- Great picnic spots all along the trail
- 2-4 hour hike depending on your pace
- 11 miles E of Coeur d'Alene off I-90 to Wolf Lodge Bay exit (#22) then S on 97 for 3 miles
- Good sized parking area at the trailhead
- Part of the National Recreation Trails Program www.americantrails.org
- For more information call the Bureau Of Land Management Coeur d'Alene Field Office 208-769-5000
- Perfect venue for great photos
Saturday, February 5, 2011
Coeur d'Alene Best Hikes: #1 Of 10
Mineral Ridge National Recreation Area
What a view!
Early September found everyone in the mood for a little adventure!
Mineral Ridge, with its 3.3 mile trail, was the perfect choice for a leisure afternoon hike. We packed a wonderful picnic for our guests and sent them off with advice to take a jacket and plenty of water.
In 1982, it was designated as a National Recreation Trail. Rising only about 700 feet from the parking lot at an 8% average grade (some parts are about a 15% grade) it seemed like the perfect choice! The Summit is about 2,400 feet, so it's a good hike! Although you have access to the trail year round, it is most enjoyable from April through mid-November! I tell you this, but feel compelled to also tell you that in December through January it is one of the best vantage points to view the annual winter migration of over 150 bald eagles that flock to the area to feed on the spawning kokanee salmon in Lake Coeur d'Alene!
The 22 station markers along the trail provide a lot of stops to take a break and enjoy the views! There are several vantage points with views of Lake Coeur d'Alene and Wolf Lodge Bay!
Things To Consider: